Thursday, July 2, 2009

HI, I AM SOCIAL!

Once too soon, life goes a full circle; but this time it feels good because I have found the right answers. If you've read my previous posts, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, it's still okay. This is what it is.

It all began when I wanted to see how I wrote when I was not paid to do it. It meant I could really write what I wanted to. No 30 days or your money back. No great deals now or never. No persuasion. No smart talk bullshit. Just take it or lump it. Plain heartspeak. I called it ok-write-write.

I had consciously decided to keep my posts far and few. To write only what mattered under the blog's scheme of things and only when it mattered. But somehow the posts turned out farther and fewer than I anticipated.

Somewhere down the line the enthusiasm had fizzled out. It felt as pointless as making a swine run on the treadmill. Isn't it natural for a writer to yearn for attention. More people read his works. And tell him what they think about it. Bouquets, brick bats, good, bad, ugly, worse, can do better, sucks, something.

A few months and a million wonders later, I got initiated into social media. Picture a bloke with a long beard, dark glasses and a looney cloak saying "BEFORE"; and another photo next to it with a clean-shaven 'Mr. Successful' look and a pseudo smile labelled "AFTER". And even worse, a headline like "Social media changed my life!"

Trust me, its really not so obscene. I am motivated to write because I know more people will get to read it and comment on it. At least I know that even if I don't make new friends I'll make new enemies. Whichever way you look at it, that's a great start. I am now reminded of a really mean line. The temptation is too much to resist."Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one!"

1 comment:

Benedict G said...

unlike me, not a writer but want to write... love words.. and end up writing all kinds of crap. My blog looks like a mashed up slum.. trying creative ways to make it look good... but html fails me. A computer spastic should I say!!!!